Steamboat is known for being family friendly and a lot of people bring their kiddos to Steamboat, plus all of us locals think it is a great place to raise a family, so naturally there is plenty to do with kids while you visit! Take a look at some of our suggestions below and feel free to reach out to us with any questions. Most of the Resort Lodging Company team members have children, so we’ve been there, done that in Steamboat!
What can RLC help with in your condo or townhome:
Resort Lodging Company can provide a few items in your condos to make travelling with a little one a bit easier. After all, we are parents too and we travel! Most of our condos have at least one bathroom with a tub, take a look at the photos of the condos to see what the configuration in each bathroom is. Many of our condos have washers and dryers in them and if they don’t there are common area laundry facilities for your use. Please let us know before you arrive if you will need any of the following items waiting in your condo for you: pack n plays, highchairs, baby gates or outlet plugs. You can also feel free to send anything ahead of time to any of our front desks and we can hold it for you until you arrive.
Stores in Steamboat to buy kid stuff:
Steamboat has 2 large grocery stores, Safeway and City Market (Kroger) for any food or formula you may need. There is also a WalMart (not a super center, just a regular one) where you can find clothing, diapers, medicine, toys, etc. Downtown there is a store called In Celebration of Kids where you can find toys, clothes, games and there is even an arcade to entertain the older kids while you shop! Many of the ski shops have kids gear, we recommend checking out Christy Sports, they carry great products and their staff is friendly and knowledgeable. During ski season, our shuttles can take you to any of these stores, give us a call.
Family Friendly Dining:
Steamboat is family friendly, so most restaurants are going to be accommodating and friendly to families. See below for a few of our favorites for bringing the kiddos:
- Rex’s: Located in the Holiday Inn, great food, good friendly atmosphere and a great outdoor space in the summer with games and kid activities on the lawn. Sip on a beverage while your kids play on the lawn.
- Johnny B Goods: an old-timey diner downtown with good food and great shakes!
- Fiesta Jalisco & Vaqueros: Family-owned Mexican restaurants with great food and a kid friendly vibe.
- Cuginos: Italian restaurant downtown
- Sake2U: located on the river downtown, great sushi and Japanese food with an american style kids menu as well.
- The Egg & I: great traditional style breakfast spot between the mountain and downtown
Activities Besides Skiing:
- Ice Skating or Bumper Cars at the Howelsen Ice Arena
- Playgrounds (see below for a list)
- Hiking or Biking
- Open Gym at Excel Gymnastics or Rent out the Gym
- Love Climbing Adventures: An Indoor Rock Climbing Gym
- The arcade at In Celebration of Kids downtown
- Story Time Programs at the Library
- Skateboard Park
- Play Garden Drop In Childcare Center
- Old Town Hot Springs : Pools and waterslides
- Mountain Coaster
- Mini Golf at the base of the mountain
- Horse drawn sleigh ride and lunch at Hahns Peak Roadhouse
- Visit one of the nearby State Parks
Playgrounds in Steamboat:
- Whistler Park: Located on the mountain in a nice neighborhood. This park has a great playground and is surrounded by open space, football and soccer fields. A locals favorite, we shouldn’t be telling you about this one, please be respectful of the nearby houses when you visit.
- Howelsen Hill Park: Located downtown near Howelsen Hill. There is a playground, tennis courts, baseball fields, volleyball courts and more. Located near Howelsen Hill ski area, the rodeo grounds and stables to rent horses.
- Little Toots Park: Located downtown along the Yampa River and adjacent to the Library. Great playground, picnic tables and close to downtown shops and restaurants.
- Stockbridge Park: Located on the west side of Steamboat next to the community center and along the Yampa River Core Trail. Cool old western themed playground.
- West Lincoln Park: Located near the Library and Art Depot along the Yampa River Core Trail. Unique Steamboat (like an actual river boat) themed playground, open space and duck pond.
On the Mountain Experience:
Steamboat Ski Area offers great lessons and a Kids Vacation Center for those kiddos too young to ski. We recommend calling them or checking out their website for information and pricing. They even run a Kids Vacation Camp in the summertime. The mountain also provides little red wagons around the base area to help you transport young children and gear.
Doctors & Pharmacies:
We hope that everyone stays healthy while they visit, but just in case should you need a doctor or a pharmacy, here are a few suggestions below:
Steamboat Medical: Urgent Care and Regular Care Doctor’s Office located close to the mountain area.
- City Market
- Lyons Drug
Need a night out or an adult day on the slopes while you are visiting? No problem, Steamboat has options for childcare.
- Check with the Kids Vacation Center on the Mountain. In addition to ski lesson options, they have childcare from 1 year of age and older.
- Play Garden drop in childcare facility
- Steamboat Babysitting Company can provide reliable childcare for newborns to teens in your condo or townhome in Steamboat. All sitters are trained, background checked and certified. They offer everything from infant specialists to energetic “kid wranglers”.